Sunday, September 26, 2010

Imagine a Night




Title: Imagine a Night
Author: Sara L. Thompson
Illustrator: Rob Gonsalves
Picture book for ages (approximately) 5 and up
Rating: 5 of 5 stars

Summary:
This is a picture book which was written for the illustrations. Each fanciful illustration has a short poetic caption to go with it.

Opinion:
This is another book I chose basically for the cover art, which I’m not sure I can even describe. It has wonderfully dreamy and fantastic pictures that play tricks on the eye. Reading this book is like being in a dream. Anything is possible and everything is wonderful. There is no time element only imagination and creativity.  It is especially fun to read the words before looking at the pictures because the words give little hints regarding the nature of the next picture but you are never quite sure what will happen, as really anything could. To me this book is the perfect bedtime story since while you are reading it both the pictures and the rhythm of the words make it feel as if you’re already dreaming.
I would definitely use this in my classroom for read alouds, genre studies, reading groups, and on my library shelf. This is what I consider to be a timeless book and a pure joy to read. I can’t wait to share it with my students. I also have found that there are at least two other books by Gonsalves, Imagine a Day and Imagine a Place, that you can be sure I'll be adding to my collection as well.









No comments:

Post a Comment