Sunday, September 12, 2010

Author Study: Angela Johnson

Title: A Sweet Smell of Roses
Author: Angela Johnson
Illustrator: Eric Velasquez
Picture book for ages (approximately) 5 and up
Rating: 5of 5 stars

Summary:
This book is about two sisters during the Civil Rights movement. In this story they march with Dr. King, clapping and singing.

Opinion:
This is probably my favorite book by Johnson. When I read this book I felt like I was standing next to all the adults as an eight year old child. I was there, listening to M.L.K., and singing along with the crowd, trying to make a difference. I could smell the roses outside my window and as the book went on that smell became the smell of freedom. It was among the crowd and filled the air as the march took place. For me this book was magical. Unlike some of her other work, Johnson really grabbed my attention with this story. There was a point to it. It made me stop and think, what would I do if I was in their position? What was it like to listen to M.L.K.? Would I know how large a role he was playing the Civil Rights movement, that there would eventually be a national holiday named after him for his efforts? As the mother in the story, how would I feel about my two little girls marching? It is books that make me do this, make me think, that I consider to be great.
The illustrations in this book are equally as amazing. They are black and white sketches with only three things in the entire book in red, the teddy bear’s ribbon, the American flag, and the roses in the window. I won’t pretend to know exactly why Velasquez did this, but to me it brought an air of innocence and pride to the story. This event in our country’s history can easily be presented in a negative light, but Johnson and Velasquez chose to paint it positively with our nation’s symbol of liberty presented with pride at the march, shown in red, the same color as a the ribbon on a little girl’s teddy bear and the roses that smelled so sweetly like the freedom they were marching for.
I would most definitely use this book in my classroom, not only on my library shelf, but for all grades in African-American author units, Civil Rights units, American history lessons, etc. I would make a point to read this aloud to my class at least once a year, no matter the age of the kids I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment