Sunday, September 26, 2010

Focus Question: How does knowing about literary elements impact understanding of a story?

As a elementary student I can honestly say I don't remember anything about literary elements. I'm sure I "learned" them at some point, but they just never stuck with me. After reading the Peterson and Eds article as well as going over them in class I can say it has impacted my understanding when I read. I always comprehended what I read before, for the most part, I just didn't understand why a book or a story connected with me or didn't connect. I didn't understand what made a good story. After reviewing these elements and learning more about them I find myself trying to figure out which ones are used best in a story and why the author chose to use one more than another. This, I feel, makes me a better reader. I now know why a story lacking in mood won't be on top on my reading list. I now feel more comfortable classifying a story as quality or poor. I have concrete reasons rather than just "a feeling."

No comments:

Post a Comment